9 January 2020 / Call for Papers
Call for Papers: 33rd SIBMAS Conference – Warsaw 2-5 June 2020
SIBMAS (International Association of Libraries, Museums, Archives and Documentation Centres of the Performing Arts) now invites submissions for its 33rd Conference ‘Performing the Future: Institutions and Politics of Memory’.
The conference will be held from 2nd – 5th June at the Theatre Institute Warsaw, Poland, in collaboration with the Institute of Polish Culture of Warsaw University.
Call for Papers:
Being a user of a library, an archive or a museum always means – whether we want it to or not – entering a political arena. The institutions which gather, organize and disseminate information about the past are powerful participants in building a cultural self-image. Of course, this situation also applies to institutions dealing with theatre and performing arts and its heritage.
The 33th SIBMAS Conference will focus on the following issues:
- Facts, emotions, narratives – ideas and practices of a narrative museum.
- Museums, archives and libraries as an interactive space – how to develop a relationship with visitors, practitioners of performing arts, and collectively contribute to an open society.
- Marketing and collection – developing exhibitions and an image for a library or collection.
- Theatre heritage institutions and the politics of memory – what narratives do we need and for what purpose?
- Canonical and alternative approaches to the archives and library collections on performing arts.
- Body and archive – documenting of “unpreservable” by museums, archives, libraries or artists themselves.
- Performing the past/reviving the narrative – collaboration between archives, museums, libraries on the one hand and artists on the other.
- The impact of policies, politics, and conventions on theatre and performing arts practices as well as its preservation.
- Ecology in the library, archive and museum – practicing care for the Earth; how do perform jobs and help save the planet.
How to submit your proposal:
Proposals for the 2020 Warsaw Conference must take into consideration one of the proposed topics, and consist of the title of the paper, abstract up to 300 words and short bio information about the author. It may be submitted in English or French, but please note that all presentations at the conference must be delivered in English.
The time allowed for each communication is 20 minutes maximum, followed by a 10-minute Q&A period.
Simultaneous translation English-French will be provided in the main auditorium only for keynote presentations.
All papers will be announced in English and French in the conference program and subsequently published in English and French in the proceedings. By submitting your paper for inclusion in the conference you agree to allow your paper to be published in print, in both English and French.
Deadline for submitting proposals: 3rd February 2020
Notification of acceptance: 14th February 2020
For further information on registration, call for papers and to submit your proposal go to the SIBMAS website: http://www.sibmas.org/conferences/invitation/